Friday, September 2, 2011

Kino-Eye and Methods of Montage

I found Kino-Eye to be a much easier read than Methods of Montage.

Kino-Eye was like reading a poem and everything flowed so nicely. What I gathered from this was that looking through a camera lens and looking with our naked eye can sometimes obstruct the reality we are looking at. I have noticed this all my life how different films look from the every day. I am not talking about story matter, music, fantasy, or anything like that. Film simply LOOKS different than the every day. I have always wondered why hasn't anyone ever made a film that looks like the way we see things with our naked eye? Even with home movies, I do not feel we are looking at things as we would if we were really there.

One example I've always used to show my curiosity of this subject is to hold my hand up to the television screen. If a character in the film held their hand up to obstruct the scene, it would appear 'normal' since that hand is within the film. However, when I raise my hand to the screen, it stands out as though it is not supposed to be there. It does not belong in that world. Again, I have always wondered why a lens, or something, has not been created to where when I raise my hand to the screen, it looks as though it belongs there.

Are we simply not meant to be apart of the film's reality? Or is the film industry more focused on creating another world than putting the viewer into it? Or am I thinking too much?

As for Methods of Montage.... I really do wish I could say more about it. I now know that there are five types of montage, or methods on how to go about making a montage. However, I have not retained much of the information. I have the reading in front of me, true, but nothing inside of it stuck with me. Could we talk about this some next class? Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment