Friday, September 9, 2011

Frampton

I found Frampton's 'A Pentagram for Conjuring the Narrative' to be a lovely read. I do not know if I fully understood everything Frampton was trying to get across, but it was still a very nice read.

At first it seemed that every Roman numeral was going to be a new mini-story trying to explain narrative. It was not until Roman numeral III that every new 'chapter' began to be about the same thing.

Narrative, from what this bit of writing is telling me, is more difficult to fathom than we think. Frampton uses all sorts of mathematical equations to help explain narrative. I, myself, am a math person but I found this to be very confusing. It would have helped if he was more clear with what parts of the equations were representations of. Such as if x=x, a=story, b=plot, and c=narrative, then what is x? That probably is still quite confusing, but if he had done something similar with his examples, I believe I would have understood better what he was trying to say.

Again, what I get from the whole of this reading is that narrative is difficult to come up with and it is different for everyone. So, does this mean there is no wrong way to come up with a narrative? I would think so as we are all individuals with different ways of thinking.

My favorite 'chapters' were I and II as well as the end of V when he begins to mention what is at the ecliptic of our universe. I wish he had used these in some way in his equations. I feel that would have made much more sense than... well, rambling.

1 comment:

  1. "Again, what I get from the whole of this reading is that narrative is difficult to come up with and it is different for everyone. So, does this mean there is no wrong way to come up with a narrative? I would think so as we are all individuals with different ways of thinking."
    - Katherine

    I agree with you here. There are plenty of ways to illustrate a narrative. As we talked about in class, Citizen Kane changed how people saw narrative. It became something that did not necessarily have to follow a chronological sequence. Techniques like flashbacks break the sequence and fill in critical background. A more recent film that puts an interesting twist on narrative is Memento. After watching Kane, I recognize that Memento is heavily influenced by Orson Welles' work.

    ReplyDelete