Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Dallas Museum of Art

I recently went to the DMA for a project in my painting class. This was my first time going to the museum and I probably would have never gone if it was not for a school project. The DMA has a has an incredible amount of art ranging from all time periods and cultures, such as European painting and sculpture, Arts of Africa, Asia, and the Pacific, Arts of the Americas, and Contemporary Art. The American decorative arts has one of the most important holdings of American silver in the world. Anyway, while I was there, I looked for any form of video art or video installation. All I could find were some televisions in the interactive room (where children can make arts and crafts, etc.) displaying different images of art, landscapes, and architecture. I think those televisions can be used by people to show their work or promote something.

Overall, the DMA is worth visiting because anyone can definitely find something that sparks their interest. With a student ID, it costs $5. And every Thursday night between 5:00 p.m. and 9:00 p.m., admission is free for students and educators with a school ID.

I will actually be returning to the DMA when the Jean Paul Gaultier exhibit opens. The fashion is supposed to be absolutely breathtaking. The exhibit will display pieces he made for Madonna and Kylie Minogue. Here is the link to the exhibit on the DMA website.

http://www.dallasmuseumofart.org/View/Gaultier/index.htm

1 comment:

  1. Hey Giacomma,

    You should definitely go back when the Mark Bradford exhibit is up. While he is primarily a painter, he does do some work in video, and his practice is pretty fascinating. http://www.dallasmuseumofart.org/View/FutureExhibitions/dma_316097

    ReplyDelete